Saturday, June 27, 2009

Money Diary: Day 5

I got up at 7 am this morning and shoved a graham cracker in my face before heading out to Valvoline for a oil change and then a state safety inspection. I printed a Valvoline coupon at work yesterday for $6 off! Woohoo!

The oil change cost $50.81 after the coupon. The inspection cost $45 including the $25 he charged me for cleaning/polishing my headlights because the plastic was dull and scratched up, therefore causing my lights to be very dim. He couldn't have passed me otherwise. He advised that I would probably need new headlights before my next inspection. I started a fund on SmartyPig to meet this goal. I had noticed that my headlights sucked, but it wasn't really a big deal to me since I rarely drive at night. Perhaps my car was conditioning me not to do so!

After I got back from taking care of car shenanigans, I went to the Post Office to pick up package materials for a package that I've been meaning to send. Unfortunately, flat-rate boxes are not cheap (about $5 a pop!). I decided to call for free shipping materials instead.

When I got home, I made myself some eggs and ordered flowers to be sent to J's family, $50.85. I then called around to various Party Citys to see if they had what I was looking for, but it turns out none of them did. At least I saved myself some time and gas. I will go to Party City tomorrow and just pick up an alternative to what I originally wanted.

I still had a whole afternoon to fritter away... I needed a change of scenery, but didn't want to go too far. I ended up in Fairfax at Old Navy and then Barnes and Noble. I didn't buy anything at Old Navy and I spent many hours sitting in Barnes and Noble perusing health and fashion magazines as well as Australia travel guides. I took some notes on the interesting tidbits, but did not find any books that were worth buying. Usually I only purchase books on Amazon, but I had a gift card. Ahh... for the love of gift cards! Thank you, friends! I purchased The Time Traveler's Wife. I've read almost two chapters and it seems to be a promising read. I haven't had many books that have held my interest lately, so haven't been reading as much. I kind of want to save books to read during my Australia flights. We'll see how it all pans out.

Speaking of Australia, I'm waiting for a credit charge to be refunded for a tour that I booked in Cairns. For some reason, they aren't offering the tour that day, or maybe the tour filled up. Not sure. Either way, I need to book another tour for that day because I can't go to Australia and not see the Great Barrier Reef.

After Barnes and Noble, I went to Panera to enjoy the beautiful day and have a nice late lunch/early dinner outside. My meal was $7.65. It was a lovely afternoon and I'm quite tired. Now to take a nap before seeing what the night has to bring...

Money spent: $154.31

No comments: