Friday, June 26, 2009

looking for the silver lining

I felt all kinds of emotionally mixed-up and depressed yesterday. Something just wasn't right inside and I couldn't shake myself out of it. Work was fine, but I felt like the ticket just put me in a very negative, inert disposition. I couldn't understand why I was feeling so down over just a ticket, and also the potential money-drain of a new place to live. It just wasn't right.

I think that sometimes we have an intuition that makes us feel a certain way for no particular reason until some sort of revelation comes.

While at Baskin Robbins, I received a phone call from J's mom. She asked to speak to him and said it was important. As soon as the word "important" came out of her mouth, I already knew what it was that she had to tell him. J's grandfather had passed away. Last month he suffered a stroke and he was in the hospital for awhile.

I guess this news justifies how I was feeling all afternoon yesterday. It's a hard emotion to shake off. The last time I had to support someone through a death was when my step-dad died. I'm still not 100% sure what the right things to do or say are. I remember when my grandmother died, I just wanted to be alone. I wandered the streets of Boston on a gorgeous spring day by myself, trying to see the happiness of the world through tear-brimmed eyes and a broken heart.

J is driving home to his parents today and I pray that the solitude will give him peace and comfort.

No comments: