Typically, I don't mind being thought of as young. Call me cute, give me advice, that's all fine, however, being the rebel that I am, I HATE being told what to do, especially when I feel like the person doesn't have any place to do so.
So, there I am, sitting on the metro. As we pull into my stop, I say to the woman who is reading next to me, "This is my stop." I thought that was perfectly acceptable. I have never found it rude when people have said it to me. I think on the metro, "This is my stop" is understood to mean, "Could you please move aside, so that I may exit?"
Anyway, the woman slowly gathers up her things and says, "Ok. Say 'excuse me.'" I was stunned. I am not a child who needs to be taught her manners. Personally, I reserve "excuse me" for when I don't understand or approve of something (which may be accompanied by a bit of an attitude... which I might have used in response to the lady if I wasn't such a nice little, Asian girl) or when I want to ask a question to a stranger. The mere fact that I didn't say, "Move, B#$%@!" should have been enough.
Ok... I've vented. I'm going to let it go now. Release...
No comments:
Post a Comment